Pages

Monday, July 19, 2010

Zooplankton grazing

If I define oceanography as a student, I would say that this is the study of "everything" from small micro-size to whale-like big organisms and "interactions" between the organisms and environment. I am sure this is not a perfect definition but I just want to say that one oceanographic study must be supported by other studies to become better research. Our project (Life in the Dead Zone) emphasizes not only geochemical cycle of nutrients in the anoxic environment but also biological responses (e.g., bacteria and zooplankton) to see how the organisms react to the stressful environmental condition. This is why we also observed zooplankton activities such as grazing, egg production, etc. This sample below was captured by zooplankton team at Horn Point Laboratory and I found very interesting zooplankton activity which seemed like eating black particulate material which looks alike a fish fecal pellet. Please let me know what Acartia tonsa (zooplankton) was doing here.

No comments:

Post a Comment