Pages

Friday, September 10, 2010

Life in the Dead Zone project

o far I have worked in Life in the Dead Zone project for about 3 months. I went to total 3 cruises including a one-week long cruise (LDZ4) and two one-day boat (LDZ5 & 6). Most of data are analyzed with DIC analyzer and membrane inlet mass spectrometer. Unfortunately, I had badly cut my finger and lost some skin due to broken glass vial but I am glad my wound is not so bad.

Classes are also begun from the last week: Environmental Geo Chem I and Oil spill seminar this 2010 fall semester. It is going to be fun, difficult, but most importantly very useful for my study.

Today, I have finally made two important plot: Scanfish plot of LDZ4 and DIC flux from sediment of LDZ 4.
LDZ4 Scanfish (oxygen, salinity, temperature, fluorescence)

In the figure above, most importantly, dead zone (no oxygen) was clearly observed below about 10 m in the mesohaline (middle) of Chesapeake Bay. Then, was there any living organisms which can produce energy by performing respiration without oxygen?
Dissolved inorganic carbon measurement
Not many studies have measured DIC in the dead zone. The figure above clearly shows that there are heterotrophic and/or chemoautotrophic bacteria using other electron acceptors other than oxygen alone. Now, I am very excited to show people that there are lives in the dead zone!

No comments:

Post a Comment