Pages

Thursday, December 6, 2012

Working on a scientific cruise

I should include a word 'scientific' when someone ask me where I work. If I just say a cruise, they often think a tourist cruise although I sometimes think this is a combination of scientific and tourist cruise because of amazing foods and a list of DVDs I can all enjoy after work.

In May of 2012, I am now working on Research Vessel Oceanus owned by NOAA and operated by Oregon State University. Dr. Crump invites me to this cruise months ago and we made a plan for collecting water samples for microbial measurements. I am in charge of measuring respiration rates from high turbid water which are natural phenomenon occurring in estuarine environment worldwide.



I have never been on the Columbia River estuary before but I just fell in love with it right after I saw for the first time. Sea lions, geneses, sea gulls, mountains, tides, etc. which I all love.



We use two methods to collect water samples: Owen tube (left) and a pacer pump connected to CTD (conductivity, temperature, and depth sensors in a metal frame) frame (right). There is a slight difference between the two methods: Owen tube allows us collecting water and particles of different settling speeds at one depth while CTD pump allows collecting one in many different depths. These are usually operated by at least three people: winch operator, computer screen watcher, and me fighting with a cable and hose.

We also have many scientists on board working on the same project with different tools. Enjoy pictures below:






















No comments:

Post a Comment